After you've worked your gluteals off to get your RN, it seems only right that you try and keep up to date in a field that seems to change on a weekly basis. New drugs come out, more high tech treatments and devices appear in your workplace, and your already full brain tries desperately to keep up.
CEU's (Continuing Education Units) are one way to keep your knowledge base current. Some states also require CEU's on specific content (e.g. Domestic Violence, HIV etc) to maintain licensure. If you haven't already, check with your State Board and find out. While you're there, get a copy of your Nurse Practice Act just because you should.
Links to assist you in your practice
Maintaining your CEU's (be sure the courses you take are approved by the state you practice in, and that the expiration date is appropriate)
- MediLexicon - The world's largest online database of medical, pharmaceutical, biotech and agrochemical abbreviations - over 57,000. Free to use. Directory of pharmaceutical companies, pharmacy faculties, government health departments, healthcare job agencies, scientific articles (30 million), scientific conferences database.
- Epocrates on the iPhone
- Epocrates.com - This is a great reference if you own a handheld device that uses the Palm OS.. It has a drug reference, sorta a mini PDR and you can also use it to profile a list Of drugs for interactions. One of the Residents where I work, turned me on to this. And amazingly the download is free for the regular version and will update when you Hotsync your handheld and are connected to the internet.
- CDC Ceu's
- Medscape CME
- Corexcel offers over 20 ANCC accredited online nursing CEUs and Contact Hour Courses.
- Stress-Free CEUs, Quick and Easy on Your Pocketbook
- http://www.rn.com - RN.com has been serving the nursing community since February 2000, and has become the industry's leading nursing resource provider. Founded by health care providers, we are dedicated to providing both our customers and clients with the highest level of customer service.
- Access Continuing Education
- Advance for Nurses
- NurseCEU.com is a directory of online Continuing Education (CE) courses for RNs, LVNs, LPNs, Nurse Practitioners, critical care nurses, EMTs, paramedics, and other individuals working to provide health care. Always check the provider's website for accreditation, terms, and conditions of service.
- CE for Nurses
- Nurses Learning Network
- Nursing Spectrum and NurseWeek continuing education courses on Nurse.com
- Professional Education Center
- TAYLOR COLLEGE for Continuing Education
- Medical Education Systems - The Original Home Study CEU Provider
- American Nurses Association - ANA members can now get a wide selection of CE modules free
- Bioterrorism Course - As a public service and to aid in the war against terrorism, ABQAURP is offering this free Bioterrorism CE course to all Health Care Professionals. This course is designed as an overview of Bioterrorism and Biological Weapons of mass destruction. This course is approved for 1.2 Nursing CEU credit.
- Culture Advantage - Offers 3 free online CE courses (accredited for contact hours in Kansas and 15 other states) as of my visit. Requires registration prior to taking courses.
- Medscape Nurses CE Center - Offers a selection of free, continuously updated courses.
- Meniscus - Free Oncology Nurse CE offerings
- MMWR - Free continuing education offerings from the CDC
- Nellcor Puritan Bennett - Offers a good selection of free, accredited online educational courses for registered nurses and respiratory therapists.